HOW TO AVIOD MAKING AN EXPENSIVE MISTAKE WITH YOUR NEW WEBSITE
Building a website is an important business decision and one that must be entered into with complete faith. Highly skilled and experienced web professionals are very hard to come by and with many newbies and one man bands in the market, it’s crucial you ask the right questions to get the best available.
- How long have you been in business?
- How many staff do you employ?
- Does your business rank on page one for any relevant keyword strings in Google itself?
- Do you have a proven history of success with Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)?
- Are you able to guarantee a high ranking in search engines with your search engine strategy?
- How many years have you been building websites and do you have examples?
- How many current clients do you have and can I see them in your folio?
- Who are your clients in my industry?
- How many terms do your clients typically rank for – can you demonstrate and prove that?
- Can you provide website addresses like the one you are proposing to build for me?
- Can you provide testimonials from companies you have built websites for?
- Do you have a formal scoping process that all projects go through?
- What processes are there to ensure my website is developed on time, on budget, and as I specified it?
- How will you provide constant communication to me on the status throughout development?
- Will I be able to make changes to my site myself?
- Will I be required to provide materials based on a schedule you provide for me?
- Will I have a single point-of-contact for any questions or issues I might have during the project?
- How much can I expect to pay for a complete website?
- Are there any other support costs associated?
- What creative and web page development software do you use?
- What web application development environment and servers do you use?
- Is your code optimised using latest SEO standards?
- In what browsers do you design and test your sites to view correctly?
- Are they compliant with the latest version of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome and Safari?
- Are you able to provide Flash, HTML5 and JQuery animation?
- Are you able to integrate streaming audio and video into your websites?
Domain Registration & Hosting:
- Do you handle my domain name registration or transfer?
- Do you charge extra for this?
- Do I own the domain name used for my site?
- What steps do you take to prevent loss of my site due to server failure?
- Do you provide hosting in-house or do you outsource to another company, and if so why them?
- How much space and/or bandwidth do I get with my hosting account?
- In what types of e-commerce are you proficient?
- Do you provide seamless credit card processing with SSL security?
- Does your shopping cart allow me to change prices, add, and delete products?
- Is your shopping cart search engine friendly?
Support & Maintenance
- How can I get issues resolved after hours?
- Do you provide site monitoring?
- How often do you do site back-ups?
- Do you provide Hacker Insurance?
- How often can I update content on my website?